Called To Serve

Called To Serve

Monday, October 21, 2019

Detox time!

This week was full of a lot of miracles and exciting things. We did a lot of bus contacting and met a lot of amazing people. We taught some new people that want to be baptized and have a strong desire to learn more about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and strengthen their testimonies. We have been continuing to meet with members and just had a great time. We met with a lot of the people that we had contacted throughout the week!  

We had an interesting experience this week. Someone named Pak Mardi had contacted our Zone Leaders and wanted to meet with missionaries. We didn't know anything about him. All we knew is that he wanted to meet and we were really excited to meet with him. He asked us to meet him at his office. We got there and he said, "Halo Elders selamat siang... business dulu ya." So we then realized that the only reason he wanted to meet with us was for business purposes. We walked in his office sat down and he grabs this box and starts explaining what he is trying to sell and explains the process of taking the product and wants us to become salesman haha. It was a detox product and him going in-depth about the whole thing and presenting the whole thing to us was really funny. He later pulled out a paper and pen and was going in-depth about what we would do, how much we would make, etc. His boss comes in and explains the whole thing to us again hahaha. They really wanted us to work for them as salesmen. We told them our purpose and why we were there but they didn't care to listen. They were in full business mode. It was something that I will never forget hahaha. 

I also had several awesome experiences this week where I really felt like God was guiding me and was helping me reach out to many people. On Friday, we were on our way to get some lunch we hopped on the bus. I walked towards the back of a bus and started talking to the person next to me. We got to know each other and he was interested in English class. There was an individual next to him reading his Islam bible. While I was telling the person next to me our purpose and why we are here. The person closed his book and started listening in to our conversation. We all got off the bus and the person that listened to our conversation was standing by me and looking at me while I was talking to another person. The person that was listening sat down on a bench on the other side of the halte and I made eye contact with him again. I had a strong impression to go and talk to him. While he was looking at me he put his head down, closed his eyes, and put his hands together. While he was doing that I decided to go sit by him. When he opened his eyes and turned his head he was really excited to see me next to him. We got to know each other and he told me that he was Muslim. He wanted to learn more and was asking me a lot of questions. I talked about what we believe and explained to him our Father in Heaven's plan for each and every one of us. He wanted a Kitab Mormon and it was really cool to see his desire to learn more.

I had another unique experience. We were on our way to a lesson and Elder Maxweĺl didn't have enough money on his card left to enter the halte so he had to put some more money on his card. I went through and scanned my card. I went up to this person and he turned and said "you are a missionary right... Can I have 2 Kitab Mormons?" I had 2 left in my backpack and so I was able to give him 2 Kitab Mormons. I got his information and he wants to learn more. It was interesting because my backpack was on the front of me so the name tag wasn't showìng and all I said was "Selemat siang. Apa kabar?"and the first thing he said back to me "You are a missionary right can I have 2 Kitab Mormons?" He was in a hurry so we couldn't talk much and that all happened in a span of 2 minutes then he was gone. This all happened while Elder Maxwell was putting more money on his card. Haha when Elder Maxwell walked through he was like what just happened. Someone (Hartono) just asked for 2 Kitab Mormons and then left. I feel so blessed that I am able to see miracles and God guiding me to people that are ready to learn more and have a desire to learn more about truth. 

I am so thankful for God's hand and know that he uses us to reach out to so many others as we act on the impressions that we receive and stay focused on our purpose. I am so thankful for this opportunity to work hard and direct my efforts to the Lord. Inviting and helping people receive the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ is truly amazing. 

My companion and I also met with a lot of people for the first time this week that we had contacted this week and the previous week. After we shared a message with them they said that they wanted to be baptized! We are seeing progress with people that are interested and feel so blessed for this opportunity that we have to help them come closer to Christ. It is so cool hearing all their experiences and what they learn after they read, ponder, and pray with sincerity. 

Some of our interested people also came to church. Someone that I met on Saturday came to church the next day. His name is Gerald and He loved it! He told me that he had finished the Book of Mormon and that he wants to meet again so we can discuss more in-depth about our message and the Book of Mormon. I was shocked when he said he had finished it because It had literally been like 20 hours since he got the Book of Mormon. It will be an exciting meeting with him again.

Relying on my Father in Heaven this week has really strengthened me. Focusing on others and trying to do everything to help them is strengthening my testimony tremendously. Seeing how the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ is blessing their lives is so awesome.

I know that this Gospel is true and that as we rely on him and put our trust in Him He will help us. He will guide us and we will see the blessings of turning to him. Proverbs 3: 5 - 6
 5 ¶ Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

I love you all. Thanks for all the support. I hope all is well.

Kasih,

Elder Östhed

1 Detox product
Image preview

2 Bus
Image preview

3 Lusi 
Image preview

4  On our way home
Image preview

5 Leo wanted a Kitab Mormon
Image preview

6 Clara and Frans
Image preview

7 Fani
Image preview

8 A bunch of electrical wires on the ground
Image preview

No comments:

Post a Comment